Table of Contents
Coordinating wedding party outfits is no small feat, as every bride wants her bridal squad to look picture-perfect on the big day. Achieving flawless coordination requires careful consideration of various factors, from the wedding color palette to the formality of the event. In this mini guidebook, we explore the dos and don’ts of coordinating wedding party outfits to ensure a cohesive and visually appealing ensemble.
- Choose a Wedding Color Palette: Before diving into outfit coordination, establish your wedding’s color palette. Select primary and accent colors, providing a foundation for all other elements. Opt for three to five favorite shades to paint your wedding.
- Coordinate Bridesmaids’ and Groomsmen’s Outfit Colors: Ensure a uniform aesthetic by choosing outfit colors for both bridesmaids and groomsmen. While matching bridesmaids’ dresses are traditional, consider mixing and matching dresses with the same color or choosing different colors with varying styles. Use bridesmaids’ dress colors for groomsmen’s accessories like ties and pocket squares.
- Stick to a Uniform Color Scheme: Once you’ve chosen a color scheme, maintain consistency throughout the wedding planning process. Ensure that all elements, from decor to outfits, align with the selected colors.
- Provide Swatches: Details matter, so offer fabric swatches to bridesmaids as a reference. This ensures there are no unexpected color clashes on the wedding day.
- Coordinate Formality: Determine the level of formality for both bridesmaids’ and groomsmen’s outfits. Consider factors like the wedding venue, indoor or outdoor setting, and the overall theme. Ensure that outfits align with the chosen formality.
- Focus on the Details: Pay attention to hairstyle, accessories, and dress length to maintain consistency. While bridesmaids may have different hair types, accessories, such as flower crowns or braids, can create a common thread. Choose accessories and attire that align with the wedding’s vibe and season.
- Give Too Many or Too Few Options: Strike a balance between being overly controlling and too laid-back when it comes to outfit choices. Offer guidelines, such as the suggested color scheme, dress materials, and lengths, while allowing some flexibility for individual style.
- Choose Outfits Incompatible with the Wedding Location: Consider the wedding’s location, time of day, and style when selecting outfits. Evening weddings may call for more formal attire, heavier fabrics, and darker colors, while daytime weddings allow for more casual, lighter, and brighter attire.
- Ignore the Budget: Be mindful of your bridal party’s budget. Weddings involve various expenses, and you don’t want your friends to feel financially burdened by their outfits. Avoid choosing dresses that exceed their budget constraints.
Coordinating wedding party outfits is a challenging yet memorable experience. By following these dos and don’ts, you can ensure that your bridal squad looks stunning and coordinated on your special day.
Jonah Levine is the Creative Director of NewYorkDress.com, the #1 online source for evening and prom dresses worldwide. With a focus on service and personalization, Jonah works to create the ultimate online and in-store luxury shopping experience.
In summary, coordinating wedding party outfits involves careful planning and consideration of various factors, from color palettes to formality and budget. By following these dos and don’ts, brides can achieve a cohesive and visually appealing look for their bridal squad, ensuring a picture-perfect wedding day.